Stopera is a building complex of city hall, opera and music theater located in Amsterdam. Stopera is located in Amsterdam’s city center, between Waterloo Square, river Amstel and Zwanenburgwal. This location was chosen in 1954 as a site for a new town hall. Construction of the new combined city hall and music theater at the Waterloo caused a great controversy, because dozens of medieval buildings of the original Jewish neighborhood had to be demolished. The complex was built in 1986, although the talk about the fact that the city needed a new musical theater and the new city hall, were from the beginning of the XX century.Due to the constant lack of funds the construction was delayed, and projects have not been approved. In 1979, an architect from Vienna Wilhelm Holzbauer proposed to place municipality and musical theater in the same building. The revolutionary proposal suddenly was approved by the city authorities; the government also agreed to build it. The building was designed by the architects Cees Dam and Wilhelm Holzbauer and it was opened on September 23, 1986. The exterior of Stopera is a massive building, faced with red brick. The curved facade of the building is decorated with white marble. Through numerous panoramic windows of the lobby of the theater you can see a wonderful view of the river.
Stopera. This building is known in Amsterdam under such a strange title. It sounds unusual, but actually it accurately reflects the essence. It is a new concept – the result of the combination of two words, stadhuis and opera, ie the “town house” and “opera”. And it means that the city government, and the city’s main opera house are in this building under the same roof. It is not necessarily to talk about this theater a lot – it’s just the leading theater in the country, the official residence of the Dutch National Opera, Dutch National Ballet and the National Symphony Orchestra. The repertoire is diverse – some works are used with using someone else’s choreography or staging, but most – with its own. Their own productions are famous all over the world. There are classic works, but in fact this theater is characterized by the fact that it seeks to create something new from famous classical works, to propose some kind of avant-garde element. It is applies to the both opera and the ballet. The repertoire is constantly updated, the company of theatre is international – leading artists from other countries come to work here. This place is very important for the fans of excellent performed classical music. All operas are performed in the original language.
You can find more information on the official site: www.operaballet.nl
- Photos from De Nationale Opera - Dutch National Opera's post "a topcast" - NRC
Debussy's impressionist masterpiece Pelléas et Mélisande, with Paul Appleby and Elena Tsallagova Soprano in the title roles, only has 4 performances left. Don't miss it! http://bit.ly/fb-pelmel-topcast
- Photos from De Nationale Opera - Dutch National Opera's post Curious for opera? Experience a comical and bubbly evening with Il Matrimonio Segreto for only € 17,- . Discover the opera-stars of the future and end the evening with a free glass of bubbles! June 25th and 26th.
- Photos from De Nationale Opera - Dutch National Opera's post Want to see an opera in the sun for free? The 18th of June, you can watch a performance of 'Pelléas et Mélisande' via a screen in Park Frankendael. Invite all your friends and take a picnic! Tip: don't forget ...
- Photos from De Nationale Opera - Dutch National Opera's post Last chance!
Tomorrow is the last performance day of aus LICHT, the once-in-a-lifetime musical spectacle you must have experienced. This is your last chance to admire Stockhausen’s masterpiece. Get your tickets: http://bit.ly/dno-aus-licht
- Photos from De Nationale Opera - Dutch National Opera's post After an amazing premiere, Pelléas et Mélisande will play six more times at DNO! A little sneak peek? In the previous post, listen to a musical fragment by Paul Appleby (Pelléas) and Elena Tsallagova (Mélisande). Who shouldn’t miss Debussy’s only(!) ...
- Aria pelléas et Mélisande Luister naar deze prachtige aria door Paul Appleby (Pelléas) en Elena Tsallagova (Mélisande) van ‘Pelléas et Mélisande’. Heb jij je kaartjes al voor deze mysterieuze opera? Alleen deze maand bij ons te zien!
Listen to this beautiful aria by ...
- Trailer Pélleas et Mélisande Vanavond gaat ‘Pelléas et Mélisande’ in première. Dit mysterieuze familiedrama is de enige opera die Claude Debussy ooit voltooide en is nog tot 27 juni te zien. Mis het niet! > http://bit.ly/f-pelleasetmelisande
‘Pelléas et Mélisande’ premiers tonight! This mysterious family ...
- Photos from De Nationale Opera - Dutch National Opera's post “In my thirty years as music critic for this newspaper, no matter how hysterical it may sound, I've never experienced anything so beautiful – for lack of a better word –“ - Erik Voermans, Het Parool
Het Parool is very ...
- Yesterday @DutchNatBallet Junior Company performed at the opening of the new residence for the Japanese Cranes at Artis Amsterdam Royal Zoo Video: https://t.co/Jc9WG2ugRS Article (in Dutch): https://t.co/1i3FwgspNl #ballet #cranes #zoo #opening #Amsterdam https://t.co/ozS5GBiRpM
- @zappsportnl kwam bij de #nationaleballetacademie langs en stelde ook nog wat vragen aan danseres @NancyBurer . Het resultaat is aanstaande zondag om 08:40 op @NPO3 te zien! #zappsport #hetnationaleballet #hnb #ballet #dans #balletles #ballerina https://t.co/j9Cz78gdVC
- #jobalert Ben jij een energieke persoonlijkheid met een sterk organisatorisch vermogen? Hou je van dans, opera en creativiteit?Wij zoeken een afdelingsassistent! Bekijk de vacature of tag de ideale kandidaat! (Ganzenveer pen-skills zijn niet verplicht)😉https://t.co/IaV92cVfbr https://t.co/NO2T63at2n
- 4 @BenoisDeLaDanse 2019 nominations for @DutchNatBallet !! Maia @Maia_Mak (best ballerina) & Daniel Camargo (best dancer), @JUANJOARQUES (best choreography - Ignite - co-production with @BRB ) & @katewhitley_ (best composer - Ignite) #Congrats #ballet #fingerscrossed https://t.co/ZWTEu2QAGl
- We just heard that @annalopezochoa will receive the @JacobsPillow Dance Award. Congratulations! Excited to see her work? Annabelle will create the new ballet "Frida", inspired by the life of artist Frida Kahlo, for us next season. https://t.co/LqRPuOIDeO #hnbfrida #awards #ballet ...
- Huge congratulations to @annalopezochoa for winning the Jacob's Pillow Dance Award 2019!! So much enjoyed 'Last Resistance' with Wende last season. I can't wait for her new creation Frida next season! #Congrats #ballet https://t.co/IdGrsdRMga pic by Florian Joahn https://t.co/tK5NUCSDPZ
- Wonderful #reviews of @DutchNatBallet Swan Lake are flooding in. Here the one from @nhdagblad "Dutch National Ballet dances the most beautiful Swan Lake, there is no discussion about that." #classic #ballet #DontMiss pic by @Marc_Haegeman Final tickets at https://t.co/rMZziNaiqG https://t.co/gX0940klJW
- Onze eerste solist @Maia_Mak staat in de nieuwe @wendyonlineNL met een prachtige fotoreportage en interview! Haal de Wendy in huis en volg haar weg naar de Witte Zwaan. #hnbzwanenmeer #swanlake #maiamakhateli #ballerina #rachelbeaujean @art_shesterikov #wendyonline #whiteswan https://t.co/KK3UYNafSm
- #Strikeapose Op donderdag 7 maart presenteren Open Space Contemporary Art Museum en het decoratelier van Nationale Opera & Ballet de tentoonstelling 'Not Enough' van Alexander van Keulen. Meer info en mooie beelden: https://t.co/2nwP5YzIB8 https://t.co/x9VmQ0PiU1
Be the first to leave a review.